- Brueckner M, Hansl B, October 2018, Drivers of growth in the Philippines paper no. 54/2018.
- Fry-McKibbin R, Souza RS, September 2018, Chinese resource demand or commodity price shocks: Macroeconomic effects for an emerging market economy paper no. 45/2018.
- Mohaddes K, Nugent JB, Selim H, September 2018, Reforming fiscal institutions in resource-rich Arab economies: Policy proposals paper no. 41/2018.
The implications of demand for resources by emerging market economies and understanding the special features of commodity economies are currently issues for policy makers and investors. Emerging markets in particular are an important driver of the most recent commodity price cycle. This program seeks to understand commodity cycles and their financial market and macroeconomic effects, as well as the interactions between the three from both an emerging and developed country perspective.
The program focuses on:
- Understanding trends and cycles in commodity markets
- Currency, equity and commodity market linkages
- Global business cycle linkages and the role of emerging markets
- Oil price shocks and their transmission through the macroeconomy
- Food price shocks and their passthrough to the macroeconomy and poverty implications
- Policy responses to relative price movements
- The macroeconomics of sovereign wealth funds